About Me

I'm a full-time working mom of 3 in the IT industry, with a great husband. When not spending time with the family, I like to spend my time in the kitchen. I like to cook. I love to eat. I adore entertaining people. I prefer not to go by any particular recipe, but experiment on my own. I'm not professionally trained in any way and I don't claim to be correct on anything I might post. Meals are often tossed together at the last minute. Sometimes I think about them during the day, sometimes I browse my cook book library and compare ingredients of great chefs before me. Sometimes I scour the internet, and sometimes they are literally pulled from the freezer and tossed into a pan.

I also used to dabble in cake decorating. {shameless plug: Cakes By Jenn Facebook}

These are those stories. I play with my food.

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Back to School Apples Made Easy

So much for updating sooner than later. I see my last post is around New Year's.  Well, 2 kids, lots of after school activities, mix in some summer months of being hot and lazy, add a little work and a woman gets busy.  The sad part about that statement is that I haven't been cooking enough "interesting" enough dishes in 8 months to warrant a post.  Don't get me wrong, I've had a few, but I don't think about it until "oh em gee I should have blogged this" as I put said food in my mouth.  And why blog about it if there are no pictures to prove it?

So here I am today and I really don't have a "wow" dish for you.  But as I sit here on the eve of the first day back at school, I felt compelled to share this awesome wisdom with you.  I figured out how to slice apples for school lunch and keep them from browning without using an acid (lemon, lime juice) to keep them from oxidizing.  Wow, right?  You're thinking, "geez Jenn no way!"  But yes, it's true.  Not only that, but the kids actually EAT them, without even having to peel them, they eat the skin.  What is this sorcery??  It's no magic I tell you.  It's just a puzzle!

 
Cut apple with core as square, don't lose track of the order.
Cut each section into 2-4 slices
Put it back together
Rubber band it

Put it in a baggie

2 kids, 2 apples

No comments:

Post a Comment